Music Banter - View Single Post - The "Good News" Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 02:17 PM   #106 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
Also... With regard to 3 6 being in the same family as No limit... Its funny cause they both have the sort of low budget production and are both southern so I can see some similarities there, but I wouldn't exactly put them in the same family for a number of reasons.
I assume you're talking about old school Three Six (same era as No Limit). Their later stuff, like Most Known Unkown definitely had a much more polished sound.

I personally think this was the best cut Three Six ever put to tape.

As for No Limit, I think a lot of those guys (and Mia X of course) could easily go toe-to-toe with a lot of the rappers that are popular today in terms of their ability to rap. I supposed it help that their beats almost always went hard. No Limit also really mastered posse cuts as a means to cross-promote.

It's interesting when you're talking about most peoples' views on groups like Three Six, No Limit, and Cash Money retrospectively. I suppose it is unlikely you're going to see a publication like Rolling Stone or Pitchfork do glowing retrospectives on Ice Cream Man or Chopper City in the Ghetto, but I'd bet that if you were talking to big fans of the genre, there's going to be serious respect for what those guys achieved. I gotta say though, as for why Cash Money eclipsed No Limit, I think a lot of it had to with Mannie Fresh's production chops - like man, I still love this tune.

Last edited by SGR; 02-03-2021 at 02:23 PM.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote