Music Banter - View Single Post - 2020 US Election Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 07:17 PM   #2141 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Have they even emptied those ICE concentration camps yet?
I suspect that, to be done responsably, it takes more than just throwing open the door. Biden hasn't been in power for even a month yet - and if you're talking about the children in cages held at the border, well one of the big probs is that under J Sessions, they were separated without adequate details/contacts of family members being taken. That's a mess that can't be fixed overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Every administration is "enthusiastic" about deporting people. All of them. The only difference between Republican and Democratic administrations on that point is that the media tends to pay more attention and give more coverage to those issues when the new boss has an R instead of a D, so when bad things happen you are more acutely aware of it.
I don't think that's an acurrate statement, Anteater. From memory, only Trump instigated a deliberate policy of separating children from parents at the border as a deterrent to other immigrants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Considering Obama's regime was the one to start putting people in cages I don't see Joe being good on this issue. I think he just cares about the optics of being the anti-Trump.
For the UK and the US immigration is a really tricky issue, but it seems clear that the Biden admin will take a more humane approach. Haven't they just appointed a Latin American guy to take charge of the department? Good sign, imo. Also, even if Biden is only optically anti-Trump, that would surely oblige him to make some much-needed changes.