Music Banter - View Single Post - 2020 US Election Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2021, 05:33 AM   #2144 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Should they have just left the Jews in Auschwitz, too? You open the doors. You beg forgiveness. You put them up in a decent hotel. You pay for their meals. You put the FBI and missing persons in charge of reuniting the families.

It really isn’t rocket science and there really doesn’t need to be any ****ing excuses.
I'm not sure about your analogy, OH. My feeling is that releasing innocent German citizens back into their own land is a more straightforward affair than releasing what may be a mixed bag of people; some orphans, some undocumented, some not Americans. Still, I have to plead ignorance on the actual details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
They’re totally different. It’s not tricky for the US. We live on stolen land and the rest of the world has every right to it that we do.

The only people who have a right to protest immigration are Native Americans.
I said immigration was a tricky issue for both countries, not that they were the same.
It's natural that when you grow up in a place, you have a sense that it's "yours": that feeling of ownership only takes one generation to develop, and in the US, it's been a lot more than 1 generation of Europeans taking root there.
It's also a fundamental of human behaviour to think that "What I have is mine, and therefore, not yours". TBH, at a personal level, that is why I have a front door to my house; I don't want to have other people drifting through it. So at that micro level, I behave as an anti-immigration guy, which is why I have ambivalent feelings about immigration policies in general. At one level, free immigration is honourable and egalitarian, at another level, it's not exactly what I want.
So, two rather off-the-cuff reasons there why I consider immigration to be a tricky issue.