Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite Guitar Albums
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2021, 08:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

I like a guitar album to be really focused on the guitar, so I've never thought of Dark Side of The Moon as being a "guitar album". Likewise, what I've heard of Police (=not much).

These are a couple of my favourites:-
Allman Bros: Live at Fillimore East- long tracks, with two guitarists taking turns to carry the whole show
Guadalupe Plata: their albums are titled just by year: 2015 is the one where I fell in love with their updated, ferocious take on a slightly Dick Dale style.
John Fahey: I like the intensity of your Michael Shenker rec, Plankton, but sometimes I want something to wind down with, and then almost anything by JF does the job. Not easy to make an album of acoustic guitar instrumentals sound distinctive, but he did it on a reg basis.

Good call on Tago Mago, sufferin S. Karoli is really underrated imo, perhaps because of his insistent, yet somehow under-the-radar style.
And if I were to chose an album where the guitar playing is just one bit of the band's sound, I think I'd go with:
Steely Dan: Countdown to Ecstacy - standout guitarwork turning up on Showbiz Kids and Pearl of the Quarter.