Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2021, 02:07 PM   #22587 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Well they’re not trying to execute her or paint her as the equivalent of Eichmann. Be careful that you don’t mischaracterize what’s taking place here.
That's why I asked for the link. Thanks. I've read it now, and I don't see anything in it to change my opinion. Surely hundreds, even thousands of clerical workers were employed in concentration camps? What were they all to do? Revolt? Quit? People had to earn a living. I just don't see the need. I think it's all posturing and revenge-motivated, and in some ways could be compared to how the Nazis reacted as the camps were liberated, killing as many prisoners as they could before they were stopped. Doesn't the link say they want to "get as many of these as they can before they die"? It just sounds a little vindictive to me. What good is it going to do?

I'm all for high or even low-ranking officers, guards, anyone involved who would have had daily contact with the prisoners and known exactly what was going on to stand trial, but to paint all the workers with the one brush and assume that just because they were there they share the guilt, is in my own personal opinion wrong and unfair.

Of course, were I a Jew I might think differently. But I wonder.

By the way, before anyone jumps down my throat about the comment above re the killing of prisoners, I'm not in any way trying to say they're the same, just that the motivation for both acts could be seen to be similar. Obviously, again, I don't intend any offence and I don't take these matters lightly, but I don't see them as black-and-white-you-were-there-so-you're-guilty ones either. I think it's easy for us to make judgements when we have no clue what it was like to live as a German under Hitler. Who among us would not have worked in a camp if they needed the money? Be honest. And also, how do we know for sure that she was aware of what was going on, or at least the degree to which it was going on?