Music Banter - View Single Post - The Sounds Of Animals Fighting
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 08:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Expletive Deleted
Dancing Machine

Lover, the Lord Has Left Us... is like, one half of a good album. The good half is great, but the band half is just plain awful.

This is what I said about it after first hearing it, since then I've warmed up to to it a lot more...

Quote:
I got kind of a "Ok, we just got done listening to a bunch of pretentious, "experimental" bands, now let's try and replicate that" feel from it. IMO, the Mars Volta and Omar [Someone had compared TSOAF to them earlier] are what happens when you decide to be experimental just for the sake of it, and Lover, the Lord Has Left Us... takes that to the extreme. At least when you hear a bad experimental album, you can at least kind of appreciate what the artist was trying to do, but here I don't get even that.

What made TSOAF's first album great for me, considering I don't listen to any of Anthony Green's other bands, was that it had just the right amount of out-there, experimentalism while still being a "Rock" album. Except for a few songs (and even the songs that I do like are still just above average), Lover, the Lord Has Left Us... just doesn't have that. I think what you said about those songs being fantastic without the sounds dubbed over them is right, it's like they wrote these great songs, then at the last minute thought, "Wait, aren't we supposed to be an experimental band?"
Expletive Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote