Music Banter - View Single Post - Second Amendment Discussion
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 11:22 AM   #88 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Thanks guys

It's such a long time since I was a regular here, I've since relocated and have advanced well into a wholly different career path. I now have a middle manager position in the municipality where we live which is far south of Svalbard. I also have a house (with a recording studio) and two kids now and life is generally good Covid sucks, but with my introvert leanings, I personally am doing just fine.

How are you guys doing?

I don't know much about Breivik, but I guess he was a psychopath living in a fantasy/conspiracy world.. absolutely nuts. I think he used a semi-automatic commonly used for hunting and it's been discussed politically whether semi-automatic weapons for the use of hunting should be banned.

I wouldn't mind. When do you need semi-automatics for hunting? I may be an idiot when it comes to hunting, but to my mind an old fashioned shotgun covers ptarmigan/fowl and variations on the bolt action rifle covers the rest. What else do you need?

I know there's been a couple of TV series covering the Breivik events, but I haven't quite found the motivation to watch them yet even if I feel I should.
I'm not a hunter so I'm going on what other people tell me but I think most deer hunters use bolt action rifles that are more akin to a sniper rifle than an assault weapon. My friend says that sometimes an AR type rifle is useful when boar hunting but typically they're used more for self defense and recreation.

I dunno the situation in your country but in America I believe banning these assault weapons is kinda pointless and more of a symbolic gesture. There are some shootings such as in Vegas where maybe it wouldn't have been possible without that kinda gun but in general a couple of handguns with extended or spare clips are more than sufficient to shoot up a group of innocent civilians. Also, these mass shootings get all the attention while they are a very slim minority of the gun homicides in this country. The vast majority of which are committed with ordinary hand guns.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote