Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bitch Box
Thread: The Bitch Box
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 01:27 PM   #24476 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

There is truth to what both of you are saying. Capitalism is a competitive system that rewards cut throat tactics and thus a lot of immoral action is driven by the capitalist system.

It's also true that capitalism has served a function in terms of industrialization and raising the standard of living. I know that's no consolation for the people suffering but the fact is there's more people suffering in part as a byproduct of us becoming more efficient at growing and supplying food. It's counter intuitive to think about it this way but before industrialization there were less starving people simply because there are more people now. They didn't have the capacity to have a population of billions of people prior to industrialization. That's why the population was so much lower back then.

I do think it is immoral to just settle on capitalism and not try to create a more equitable and sustainable system... But capitalism is a necessary stepping stone in order to provide the technology and infrastructure to be able to do so. So bringing up serfs who would rather stay in the farm than work in factories hundreds of years ago is a non starter for me because I don't think many of us would actually trade our current life for that of a serf.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote