Music Banter - View Single Post - *loud greeting noises*
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 08:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
kuriz
Groupie

Default *loud greeting noises*

hi im kuriz. i like chinese tea and punk rock though they don't go that well together. i recently went on a break from discord and joined here on a whim to have something to fill new void. im not sure what extra to put in an introduction in a place like this so i guess i can drop a quick timeline of my music tastes through the years.

my journey through music started when i was about 13 and discovered a weird wacky genre of music called vaporwave. its experimental and broken/janky nature captivated me to the point of being what i exclusively listened to for the next 18 months or so. my favorite artists at the time were vektroid, oneohtrix point never and internet club.

i never really got to find any artists quite like the aforementioned 3 and got a bit angry with the genre becoming repetitive and samey for the most part (though that's kind of the point), so i finally branch out to """real music""", and what better way to start than doom metal? (lol) bands i liked from there include reverend bizarre, electric wizard, and penance. i eventually explored some more metal like (brutal/slam) death metal, thrash(core) metal, grindcore and even heavy and power metal. bands i liked from the extended metal phase are devourment, entombed, terrorizer, slayer, dio, and black sabbath.a

then hoo boy came punk rock. it all started when i was re-experiencing some childhood bands: operation ivy and sublime. my first place to look for stuff like that was ska punk but i really did not like most ska punk, so i asked my dad if i he knew any stuff that was like the harder songs those bands had. i don't remember most of it, but one that stood out to me and a band i still listen to to this day: minor threat. then, from my youtube recs came one band after the other. favorite hardcore punk bands included minor threat, rites of spring, dys, negative fx, negative approach, dead kennedys, government issue, ssd and no comment. a lot of sxe bands in there, i know, i didn't know much about them at the time, i just liked how their sobriety makes their music sound so much more fierce.

i then explored electronic music. started with jungle. but i can't drop any artists other than blackstar and top cat or something because i listen to most my electronic through mixes on youtube. i eventually broke off to dnb, idm, trance, techno, gabber, mostly 90s stuff. those go hard, man. youtube channels, however, i can recommend: Ambiance, DJ Rebel Rhythm, GTeeStudioz, and Jam I Am.

Now the post is really gonna get long. It was a fine summer day, the pandemic was just getting wild, and I had me a hacked PS3. My brother wanted me to get a certain game called Project DIVA. I looked it up to see it was a rhythm game featuring songs made with Crypton Future Media's Vocaloid Voice banks. I... ****ing hated vocaloid. Like a lot. Ironic cause I was a massive weeb even back then. I absolutely loved rhythm games though and knew how to cope with songs I didn't like. My brother had a blast playing that game, and I thought it looked pretty fun. That night I decided to boot up that game. I had a hard time playing the game because I couldn't get into the music. Eventually I had to force myself to really get into it. Lie to myself that I can get down with this weeb music. A certain song, Two Breaths Walking by DECO*27, a jrock song with a sick riff, hits me all too close to home where my self-lying mode is already full blast. To introduce a song with elements and tropes in music I already like, OH MY GOD. It was by that point, that I might've lied to myself too hard, because the way I see music warped completely. I was never the same after that, I was hooked on vocaloid now. Favorite artists include: LamazeP, Hikarishuuyo, kino****a, YuuyuP, Mitchie M, KEI, PinnochioP and daniwellP.

So fast forward to now. Remember when I listed Rites of Spring as one of my favorite hardcore bands. Well that came back to bite me the ass and gateway me to post-hardocre. That phase was brief, I ran through Fugazi, Embrace, Title Fight and At the Drive-In. Wait, Title Fight? That's no-

THEN CAME EMO
I didn't like emo for the longest time, thought it was too soft, but I've reached a point in my life where things didn't seem as enjoyable to me, was never as motivated as I once was, could never focus as much as I used to. I felt stuck in a ditch of my own mind with no way out. Drowning in my own weakness and inadequacy as the impending doom of adulthood comes at me full speed. This music happens to talk about these kinds of struggles I can now relate to. I understand why it sounds the way it sounds now. Favorite bands include Midwest Pen Pals, Marietta, Empire! Empire! (I was a lonely estate), Algernon Cadwallader, TWIABP, among others I need to get too after listening to all those mixes (lol).

wow this post got long
kuriz is offline   Reply With Quote