Music Banter - View Single Post - A Journey Through The Mind of a Loner: A Kiiii Story
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 07:23 PM   #249 (permalink)
Key

Strap in, it's a long one.

I've had this on my mind for the past week and I want to post it here because I always love reading stories like this, and it's personal so whatever.
I took the day off about a week ago, which is something I never do. I don't like the feeling of taking the day off on a work day. I just feel like I can get so much more done, but sometimes you just need to give yourself a break.

(I wasn't feeling well enough to go in, both physically and mentally. Yes I did get tested, and yes, it came back negative.)

The thing I did not expect was what I came back to the day after. I went into work and I was immediately met with "I missed you!" and "are you ok?" all from many many people that came into the store that day. These are customers I deal with on a daily basis, and they are constant reminders of why I love the job that I do and why I love dealing with people in the way that I do. I get to be the reason someone leaves in a good mood, or I get to be the reason someone leaves the store smiling or laughing. There are not a lot of things more rewarding than making other people happy, even with something so miniscule as sending a letter first-class. I know I've talked about this before, but with as much negativity there is in the world, I wanted to bring some positivity into it.

I had people tell me that they only come to this store to see me so that I can help them, and when I wasn't there, they said they purposely came back when I was there so that they could have me help them. Again, some of these are rather simple transactions, but they weren't coming in just for the transaction. It's a nice gesture that I'll probably never get used to. It hits me personally in ways that I can't even begin to explain. I take it with me forever.

Sure, being an assistant manager at a store is great, and believe me, I love it. It's given me opportunities I've never had before. I work with people I would have never worked with had I not applied, and these people have just become normal friends that I get to see on a daily basis. Could just be simply coming in to check your mail and exchange a short "hello". But even that is wonderful. At the end of the day, it's just a title, though. And I treat it as such. It's not a definition. What really matters most is what people get out of the conversations and transactions that I work with them on. If you want to talk about what you're going through, please tell me, my ears are open. I will talk with you about whatever you want. And the transaction will be complete before you know it. I'm not just a man behind the counter looking for business. Obviously that's a big part of it, but my ultimate goal is to ensure that you are comfortable and happy with your experience in the store.
Today there was even another good example. I helped a lady with a notary and it went extremely well. She was happy and excited to have it done. She then pulled me to the side and told me that every time she comes into the store, I bring an energy to the room that is so inviting and positive and it's the main reason she comes to the store. She said she has come in when it's busy, and she's impressed with the level of calmness and positivity I can bring, despite it being crazy and hectic at times. Here's the thing, I can't control how busy it gets, but I can control how I react to it. And I'm going to react positively because well...why not.
I mean it, I take that to heart. And it stays there. I've worked in this position for about 4 years now, and I don't see myself changing that any time soon. Customers ask me from time to time if I plan on going anywhere, my usual response is "no", and they immediately respond with "good." Even just a small thing like that makes me feel like I've been put in this position for a reason. I belong there. I belong in a place where I can make other people happy. It's my calling.

Sure, it's simply just a printing store, but I don't look at it that way. And I don't think my mindset will ever change. I just want people to be happy. That's all.

Be good to yourselves and do what you can to be a light in the dark.

That's all I have for now.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote