Music Banter - View Single Post - Suggestions for a 14yr old rock fan pleeeease
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 02:00 PM   #361 (permalink)
Eleanor Rigby 14
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
ok scrap that last derivation, I was too hasty and I overlooked something. I'll do it properly here, wait a sec:

update: it's not solvable the way I understand the question. Maybe something is getting lost in translation. What is the original Spanish text?
OK, wait a minute I'll edit this post.
Edit: Juan has x coins in the beginning and if he gives 3 coins to Luisa, after that he'll have "n" times as many coins as her at that moment.
Luisa had y coins in the beginning and after this, she would have y+3. That's why I wrote:
x-3=n·(y+3)
However Luisa replies that if Juan (in the beginning) had given her "n" coins, she would have 3 times as many coins as Juan after this. So:
y+n=3·(x-n)
That's why I wrote this:
I have more steps done apart from that one, but still it doesn't lead me to a solution.
The original in Spanish: Juan le dice a Luisa: Si me das 3 monedas yo tendré n veces las que tú tengas. Ya le responde Luisa: pero si tú me das a mí n monedas, entonces tendré el triple de las que te quedan a ti. ¿Para qué valores de n son verdaderas estas afirmaciones?
Just in case don't quote that (the problem in Spanish). I wouldn't like my mum finding out that I post coments on a forum and I go there asking for help in Math
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for a 14yr old rock fan pleeeease-equation1.jpg  

Last edited by Eleanor Rigby 14; 03-15-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Eleanor Rigby 14 is offline   Reply With Quote