Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2021, 11:03 PM   #74464 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
Well humans do, obviously. If you program a machine to do something specific, why do we think it will go beyond its programming? I think people are trying hard to create a true AI for a long time now without success. What makes you think this is a certainty?
I don't think it's a certainty. But if we achieve AGI, then it will go beyond its programming - that's the point. Self-sufficency - the ability to learn and grow based on inputs external to the original programming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Alright let's be perfectly clear and non-stupid here. You are literally talking about the fallout of Terminator. Terminator is, say it with me, a movie. There is literally no reasonable reason to fear the future you're imagining other than your imagination of... A movie. Stop being stupid.
If you want to continue to tie the idea to cheesy '80s sci-fi movies, that's your prerogative, but it's becoming less of a fantasy the farther we move through time and human progression. You like Doom? Well, John Carmack is hard at work on AGI and he's one of many. The first person that achieves it will be enshrined in the history books, for better or for worse. If you don't want to take it seriously, that's fine. But personally, I believe AI will become more and more of typical subject for human beings to discuss when it comes to politics and their position relative to society. It is not going away any time soon, nor is it a fantasy. I am not saying there will be a doomsday scenario in which it wipes us off the face of the earth but a scenario in which it becomes so efficient that it replaces a large segment of our current labor force is not unimaginable.

Last edited by SGR; 03-18-2021 at 11:11 PM.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote