Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2021, 01:32 PM   #9192 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
equality of outcome and equality of opportunity are the same thing

if you don't have the same starting point and circumstances you don't have equality of opportunity

and the only way to have the same starting point and circumstances is equality of outcome.
You can start off in completely different positions and still have the same opportunity to apply for a job or do whatever. You can reduce the disparity between the haves and have-nots, but not to the extent that people more passionate about the subject than I would consider to be acceptable. I still haven't seen a model, even a theoretical one, that completely eliminates most forms of disparity.

On the other hand, equality of outcome is a mode of thought that assumes that specific outcomes can be controlled / legislated all the way down to the individual level in an extremely precise manner, which is impossible to achieve outside of totalitarian levels of meddling in people's lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
All of the current late night guys are trash with the exception of John oliver. That's only cause John oliver it's actually funny. The rest of those dudes just preach... They don't have an ounce of wit left in their body. Colbert is the worst. He used to be funny too. Now just pure smarmy and weak comedy.
John Oliver is so funny sometimes that I don't even mind it if I think he's wrong about something. That's a real talent.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 03-23-2021 at 08:13 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote