Music Banter - View Single Post - Your hopes and dreams?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 07:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Is this only about unfulfilled hopes and dreams?
Not at all. If your dreams came or are coming or are about to come true, fair play to you. Tell us about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
All I ever wanted is for someone on the internet to admit I won an argument. Maybe one day...
Some things were never meant to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
I didn't have hopes and dreams as a kid in terms of career. That was part of the problem

I would like to be a writer but I don't really have the discipline. I don't think I could ever consistently put out content or even commit to writing a whole book. I write more sporadically whenever I get the urge.

But really I just wanna be rich/well off. I don't even need to be proper rich I'll settle for hood rich if I have to. Just wanna not be broke and not really have to worry about money.
It's going to sound like a cliche, but joining a writing forum really helps. Most of them have challenges, like you have to write a story in say 1000 or less words (some are as low as 100: they're hard!) and it really helps hone your skills, and because there's a time limit, makes you get up off your arse (or I guess, sit on your arse) and write. It's really helped me, to the point where I won two of the competitions, to my own very great surprise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post

I saw recently that Douglas Adam's (author of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) hated writing, so even the best can struggle with it. It's rewarding but definitely a pain in the ass.
It's the hardest thing to do. You can sit there visualising all these great ideas, but getting it down on paper/screen is the hard bit. I've written an entire short story called "Heartless" in my head: now I just need to crack open my head (no volunteers, please! Stop pushing!) and get it actually written.