Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Book Club Discussion: Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2021, 09:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

I agree to let it wash over you. Some segments later on might be informing my answers below which isn't a huge spoiler really, but I'll throw the tags on them anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
Spoiler for a:
What does this mean:
From Cities and Memory 1:
But the special quality of this city for the man who arrives there on a September evening, when the days are growing shorter and the multicoloured lamps are lighted all at once at the doors of the food stalls and from a terrace a woman’s voice cries ooh!, is that he feels envy towards those who now believe they have once before lived an evening identical to this and who think they were happy, that time.

I thought maybe a different translation would help but it reads equally confusing in serbo-croatian. Anyone who comes to that city feels envy towards anyone who is melancholy? Regardless of which city they are in? Is that it? Anyone who comes to Diomira doesn't feel melancholy and is envious of those people, in other cities I presume, who do?
Spoiler for a:
Maybe this will be clearer as the book progresses, but the cities represent modes of perception, states of mind, emotions, paradigms, etc., so being "in" one of the cities means that you're undergoing the experiences Calvino is describing.

Diomira could be broken down into dio (god) and mira (aim, sight), so my view is that Diomira finds its physical form in godly/heavenly sights that provoke the response that Calvino's describing. The traveler actually strikes me as the melancholic one and this is influenced by their memory. They've seen so many fantastic sights that they've grown bored of anything similarly fantastic and retroactively perceive that they've always been bored by these sights. The traveler is envious of those who retain a nostalgia for when these beautiful sights, now commonplace to them, were novel.

The multicoloured lights can be expected to come on at a certain time, implying routine, and we assume that the woman surprised by the lights is either unafflicted by either shade of memory and is living in the present, or that she's experiencing it for the first time. I think that's Calvino's way of saying that memory and comparison robs us of the present: the melancholic are slave to the mundanity they paint onto the world while the nostalgic chase a high that they don't realize isn't much higher than what's right in front of them.

Quote:
Spoiler for a:
Also, why does he switch from a third person to first person in the opening chapter. Stylistic choice, to fuck with our heads, no reason?
Spoiler for a:
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that it is a shift to Kublai Khan's interior. He continually seeks connection between these cities to justify his empire's existence, but at the same time recognizes that it's unjustified, corrupt, and crumbling. Since Kublai Khan uses the first person singular, I think that his use of "we" is on one level an attempt for Khan to distance himself from his own actions and offload the responsibility onto those around him. On another level, I think that this is Calvino introducing the idea that he's not discussing ideas exclusive to royals, but rather the human experience which involves us, the readers. That though most lack physical empires, what we understand, perceive, and feel is an empire in itself that we may never understand.

I might return to this question when I finish the book.

Quote:
Spoiler for a:
More, from Cities and Desire 2: The city appears to you as a whole where no desire is lost and of which you are a part, and since it enjoys everything you do not enjoy, you can do nothing but inhabit this desire and be content....your labour which gives form to desire takes from desire its form, and you believe you are enjoying Anastasia wholly when you are only its slave.

Btw, the serbo-croatian version translates "since it enjoys everything you do not enjoy" as "since it has everything you don't have". Which is different. The Italian original could swing both ways I guess "essa gode tutto quello che tu non godi"?
Spoiler for a:
Interesting. I could see it carrying over if you view the enjoyment of a fulfilled desire as a possession. Do you think it comes down to that translator or is there something in Serbo-Croatian that influenced the difference? The English version is very nimble and has a lot of assonance (one of my favourite aspects of the book), so maybe the Serbo-Croatian word for enjoy didn't work in that context or something?

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote