Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Book Club Discussion: Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2021, 12:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Marie Monday
the bantering battleaxe

Spoiler for even more spoilers, some on chapter 6:

That's pretty ingeneous, you may be right. Like you suggest the details can probably be interpreted in multiple ways that are valid, but I agree that the main thing is that neither the traveller and those of whom they're envious are really looking: they're either occupied with that nostalgic moment when they were happy or going 'if only I had such a feeling attached to this that would make it a nostalgic memory' (so in both cases with memory) instead of just going 'ooh'.

by the way, it's actually one of my favourite sentences in the book as far as I recall; I love the long running clause in the middle that's almost beyond grammar

This city is a bit similar to Phyllis, (cities and eyes 4) actually, except I think that there what keeps people from enjoying (even seeing) is not memory but daily preoccupations, and taking things for what they stand for instead of literally taking them in. Which is what is strating to happen to me on the walks I take in my local park so I felt that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You sound like Buffy after they dragged her back from Heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWP View Post
I want to open a school for MB's lost boys and teach them basic coping skills and build up their self esteem and strengthen their emotional intelligence and teach them about vegetables and institutionalized racism and sexism and then they'll all build a bronze statue of me in my honor and my bronzed titties will forever be groped by the grubby paws of you ****ing whiny pathetic white boys.
Marie Monday is offline   Reply With Quote