Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Book Club Discussion: Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2021, 12:49 PM   #30 (permalink)
Marie Monday
the bantering battleaxe

on Frown's post: I think the body interpretation is cool, I hadn't noticed that. I agree Dorothea seems a stretch but with this book and the symbolism of cities as states of mind I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are meant that way. Do you have any specific ideas about the meaning these metaphors would have? The concentric canal city isn't Isidora, but that city does contain interesting shapes that I was wondering about: spirals and curves (the violins). I think the theme here is escalation and amplification (also curves and phallic telescopes -> desire?) possibly relating to how things are inflated in our memories and legends of the past?

on ando's post: I agree that that's peculiar, I hadn't paid attention to that. I definitely think the order in which to read the chapters isn't important, but maybe I'm missing something there.
I see Chloe in a different way though: I associate it with shyness and social inhibitions and how our fantasies and tension between people can build up because of that. Even without daring to approach people, there is always the nonverbal, almost electric interaction of things like exchanged glances or even sensing someone's presence. And even apart from the social aspect it holds up as a general contemplation on dreamworlds. Of course that interpretation is heavily influenced by my own personality and experience (I think your focus is also valid and interesting because it shows how strongly I'm tied to my perspective, and actually I think escaping our own view and seeing things in different ways is what many of these cities are partly about). But it's also my favourite city for that reason; I relate to it the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You sound like Buffy after they dragged her back from Heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWP View Post
I want to open a school for MB's lost boys and teach them basic coping skills and build up their self esteem and strengthen their emotional intelligence and teach them about vegetables and institutionalized racism and sexism and then they'll all build a bronze statue of me in my honor and my bronzed titties will forever be groped by the grubby paws of you ****ing whiny pathetic white boys.
Marie Monday is offline   Reply With Quote