Music Banter - View Single Post - Amon Duul II
Thread: Amon Duul II
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 06:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Wolf City (1972)
1. Surrounded by the Stars (A) – Renate’s vocals to the forefront, but unlike Carnival in B, she sings with passion while AD generate a sinister, aggressive sound. There are changes of pace and some violin passages: a welcome return to form.
2. Green-Bubble-Raincoated-Man (A) – a deceptively light start, again from Renate, leads into a nice bass run that drives this song forwards. The lyrics seem to tap into more personal experience and for once I was interested enough to listen to them.
3. Jail-House Frog (S)- luckily, the guy singing an unexceptional hard rock song concludes and with a complete change of pace, the last two-thirds of the track is a beautifully built up instrumental, beginning with frogs and concluding with full band plus sax.

4. Wolf City (S) – we expect the title track of an album to be a stand-out, but nothing special to my ears about this one.
5. Wie der Wind am Ende einer Strasse (A) – produced in Germany, but by most other parameters, an Indian instrumental featuring sitar, bongos and violin. Nice.
6. Deutsch Nepal (S)- ponderous rock like Grand Vizier’s on Ummagumma, with some odd lyrics in German.
7. Sleepwalker's Timeless Bridge (S) – a gentle intro ultimately takes up three quarters of the song, and when a vocalist and haunting violin join in, even I notice what a successful synthesis of folk rock, prog and Indian music AD can achieve.