Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2021, 09:35 AM   #74836 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
I think you'd be surprised how uncommon it is for a driver's attention to be 100% on the road at all times

No offense but I think if you've never driven then you might have somewhat unrealistic expectations here
Not really. Like I say, I admit I haven't driven but I've been in cars as a passenger and seen how distracted people can get on the phone. Conversely, I've been talking to people in cars and their attention never wavers from the road. I don't know what it is, whether the phone gives them a false sense of security or a detachment or what, but the attention wanders in a way it doesn't if the driver is just talking to me.

Actually, I think I do know: both people in the car realise that the driver's attention can't and must not be distracted from the road, so you don't do something like "Look at this dude" and tap him on the shoulder, whereas on the phone the same connection, the same shared understanding of the mutual danger - if he crashes you get hurt too - is not there. He's off driving and you're safe at home or out walking or whatever, so you don't take the same caution that he should, and I think it's there that the link breaks down.

Either way, using a phone is both wrong and illegal unless it's a handsfree, so whether you agree with the law or not, he is in the wrong. But I'm sure those overpriced notary publics will get him off. And maybe he won't have to pay his fine either.