Music Banter - View Single Post - Architecture
Thread: Architecture
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2021, 09:04 AM   #442 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Back in the 1980s I was walking around London one day and saw this unusual building by chance. I had never seen anything like it: a greenhouse right in the centre of London full of little architectural jokes. At the time I didn't even know there was such a thing as an architectural joke - but I had stumbled on the iconic birthplace of the British Post-Modern movement, built by Terry Farrell, and alas, already demolished

(If it's not clear from the photos, behind the big frontage, there is only half a building, and two of the columns, which should be doing the actual "work" of supporting the glass-roofed building have been turned into purely decorative elements instead. The 3 solid columns on the left, that look like they are doing the heavy lifting, are holding up almost nothing.)

The Post-Modern style has come up with a lot of interesting buildings, but not many that are as simple and stylish as this one.