Music Banter - View Single Post - Member Picture Gallery
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 08:54 AM   #39195 (permalink)
YorkeDaddy
silky smooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundgardenRocks View Post
Very true - I should've phrased it differently.

What I meant is that I'm more of a fan of the older fixed-camera, tank controls games (SH2 is probably my all time favorite horror game). That always addded an element of tension for me that was lost in the transition to RE4's over the shoulder view. It's a great game, but a different kind of horror for sure. Much less focus on puzzles, inventory management and resource management. Some of that is definitely for the better. I never liked having to decide which consumable to use to pickup a key item in the old games rather than do a bunch of backtracking to get to a storage box. That said, Resi 4 is much more of a "blast your way to the end" kind of game, ala old Doom. For better or for worse, RE4 definitely spawned a lot of copycats.
My first Resident Evil game was 4 so the nostalgia of the tank control games is totally lost on me. I tried playing the Resident Evil 1 Remake and while there was a lot about it that I really appreciated like the truly exceptional spooky atmosphere, I found the controls just absolutely unbearable so I never got particularly far in it.

I do still think Resident Evil 4 has a lot of inventory/resource management, but that might just be because I'm awful at shooters and will waste a lot of ammo during fights either by missing completely or hitting enemies in the stomach or something which does basically no damage lol. Resident Evil 7 had a great mix of the modern style with more traditional survival horror gameplay, you really can't just Rambo through that game unless you're a god at shooters I guess.

9-Time Winner of MusicBanter's "Most Qualified to be a Moderator" Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
On this one your voice is kind of weird but really intense and awesome
YorkeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote