Music Banter - View Single Post - Member Picture Gallery
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 09:21 AM   #39196 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
My first Resident Evil game was 4 so the nostalgia of the tank control games is totally lost on me. I tried playing the Resident Evil 1 Remake and while there was a lot about it that I really appreciated like the truly exceptional spooky atmosphere, I found the controls just absolutely unbearable so I never got particularly far in it.
I think the newer ports have an option to use a more directional movement rather than the tank controls. Worth trying if tank controls aint your thing.

I appreciate RE7 because the series really did need a new direction, like it did when RE4 was released. That said, I'm somewhat disheartened that the industry standard nowadaws is for all horror games to be in first person. Seems like ever since Amnesia came out that's the direction things have been going. And then of course when PT came out, it inspired a myriad of copycats, mostly for the worse (Visage being the exception). So now we have all kinds of walking simulators where spooky stuff happens the more you walk - and sometimes things change when you turn around (Layers Of Fear, Infliction, etc.).

Amnesia and Outlast are perhaps a worse influence overall - the formula of not having weapons and needing to run and hide from enemies when spotted - all baked together with half-ass stealth mechanics - is getting stale.

Last edited by SGR; 04-19-2021 at 09:29 AM.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote