Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 10:19 AM   #23798 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
Good place to start at least, it will be interesting to compare and contrast the styles to see which I like better. I'm not necessarily for or against the flying swordsman style but I imagine a more grounded style will work better for me. We'll see
Best place to start is relative. If you're curious about the campy old school stuff then Shaw Bros. Studio movies are the standard and you'll basically be playing Find the Wu-Tang Sample. Executioners from Shaolin was my first and still favorite, but 5 Deadly Venoms is great and so is Drunken Master, Jackie Chan's first starring role and way different for what he'd become known for.

For something more modern Bruce Lee is the obvious first step as his movies were at least some of the first to step away from the camp of earlier martial arts movies to something more visceral. He only has a few so that's easy enough but Enter the Dragon is his classic.

After that I'd say Jet Li picked up where he left off. Fists of Fury is amazing and has quite possibly the most bombass fights I've ever seen. Stay away from his American movies as Americans just suck at martial arts fights but Kiss of the Dragon is the exception and ****ing rules.

Tony Jaa is great for more modern stuff. I believe he's a muy Thai fighter which is pretty unique in martial arts movies so you get a lot of high kicks and aerial awesomeness. Ong Bak: Thai Warrior is just brutal and The Protector is a masterpiece but you'll want the Thai version as there's an English dub that's been edited and ruined.

And I'm sure you've at least heard of The Raid but it's possibly the best martial arts movie ever and the fight scenes are bonecrushing.

That's good for now I guess.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote