Music Banter - View Single Post - SGR's Underrated, Unsung, and Underappreciated Albums
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Default SGR's Underrated, Unsung, and Underappreciated Albums

I used to write a lot more when I was younger - I figured I'd try to get back into it here. My initial thought was to do a deep dive into the Fall's discography, ranking each and every album with explanation - but I figured I'll let elph finish his Fall journal before I do mine.

In this journal, I'll go through albums that I've listened to that I think are underrated, unsung or underappreciated by either the critics, the fanbase of the artist, or the artist themselves. This won't really be a list of of great albums that are simply mired in obscurity, but rather more along the lines of fairly well-established artists with albums that I don't think ever got their due. All of my opinions on these albums will of course be colored by my nostalgia and bias, but that's unavoidable - of course - feel free to tell me why I'm wrong.

We'll start with one of the first albums that comes to mind in this general category.

Manic Street Preachers - Lifeblood (2004)

The Manic Street Preachers are mostly known for their mid to late '90s work. And of course, they're also well known for Richey Edwards, who disappeared after the release of the Manics' magnum opus, The Holy Bible (I do consider that to be their best work).

10 years after The Holy Bible, and many hit songs later, the band released Lifeblood - and if you didn't know any better, it doesn't even sound like it's from the same band.

In some moments, it sounds like it's trying to recreate the synthpop of the '80s and in other moments, it's presenting beautiful piano backed poetry in attempt to soothe and caress the listener.

The overall atmosphere is icy and detached. James Bradfield's vocals sound better here than perhaps they ever have - and they sound like they've been a little front-loaded in the mix. I will say, in terms of how this album was mastered...it's been mastered too loudly. Every time I put this album in after something else I've been listening to at a reasonable volume, I have to turn it down before the synth assault of "1985" hits my eardrums - that's perhaps the strongest criticism I can levy against this record.

A little backstory - when I was in 11th grade, I had to get my wisdom teeth removed. On the way there, I pointed out a record store to my Mom and told her that I wanted to stop by on our way back home. She said: "How about we see how you feel first?".

After the surgery, I was doped up on something, mostly my thoughts were hazed and I felt halfway to a fugue state - an overwhemling numbness washed over me and I had trouble initially standing up.

But as soon as I, with help from my mom and grandfather, sauntered my way to the car and got in, I said: "Don't forget the record store". Keeping her word, she stopped by. I don't remember what the hell I was looking for, but I didn't find it. Out of curiosity, I looked to see if they had any Manics stuff since I was on an Everything Must Go kick at the time. I think I was looking for Know Your Enemy - but they didn't have that - they had Lifeblood. I bought it eagerly.

After I got home, I anxiously ripped the CD to throw it on my iPod Classic so I could listen to the album with lossless audio through headphones. By that point, it was time for me to pop my first prescribed oxycodone. I did so, put my headphones on, and hit play. As the numbess from the drug washed through me, so did the calm and ethereal soundscape of this record, beginning with one of the highlights, "1985".

It was a cerebral experience. JDB's wistful vocal performance found throughout the album accompanied by those smooth and nostalgia-inducing synths just suffuse my mind with tranquility...every single time.

Often times, throughout your young life, when a record really hits you - the time and place and smells are unforgettable and so it is for me with this album. The oxycodone was also a factor, without doubt. With that drug, and this album, all of the worries in my mind simply evaporated, and I was left with a feeling of wandering thoughts - going nowhere in particular but definitely going nonetheless. A sense of reflection - both reflection of myself and reflection about others.

There are other songs too - and I enjoy all of them. "The Love Of Richard Nixon" serves in some ways as a reflection of his presidency from a more personal standpoint. I won't lie, Nixon's time in the White House has always fascinated me - I've read multiple biographies and books on the time, including Nixon's own Memoirs, which was a long, but fantastic read.

The world on your shoulders
The love of your mother
The fear of the future
The best years behind you
The world is getting older
The times they fall behind you
The need it still grows stronger
The best years never found you
The love of Richard Nixon, death without assassination
The love of Richard Nixon, yeah they all betrayed you
People forget China and your war on cancer
Yeah they all betrayed you
Yeah and your country too

I had the privilege of seeing the Manics on their 20th anniversary tour of the Holy Bible - they played a show in Boston - and honestly, it'll probably be the only chance I had or ever will have to see them - and I got to see them play my favorite album of all time in full. It was fantastic and they played an incredible show. Despite that, I still drunkenly yelled "Play Nixon!!" between songs, perhaps in a vain hope that they'd give me ****.

Another highlight - the beautiful piano-driven "Empty Souls".

And when I'm feeling lonely and depressed, "Solitude Sometimes Is" and "I Live to Fall Asleep" are always my friends.

Why it's underrated, unsung, or underappreciated:

The band's fanbase generally doesn't have a highly favorable view of it. Within their pantheon, it's viewed probably as slightly above average at best by the fanbase (probably because it was such a departure in terms of sound). It was met with a lukewarm reception by critics - and the band themselves don't have any love for it, as can be seen in various interviews.

That said - the album is a personal favorite of mine. It's my second favorite Manics album, only The Holy Bible succeeds it in terms of significance for me. It helped my through an important time in my life. Loneliness and isolation were no stranger to me growing up - and this album was one among many that kept me company. Being doped out on oxycodone only accentuated the numbness and calm this album instills in me. At the same time, it showed me the feelings I would not want to have in old age. The excitement and curiosity of the young can be replaced, if one is not careful, with the uncloying and nauseating repetition and numbness of adulthood - going through each day only to get by and collect the paycheck, while chucking down the pills to help you forget that you're still alive. It doesn't have to be that way, it can be filled with the possibilities and pulchritude of youth. But in the meantime, this album is always there.

So lazy, lazy, lazy, chuck down all the pills
Needing to remember how and why to live

P.S. While I was using the oxycodone - I somehow bought Know Your Enemy on Amazon twice - the second time, obviously forgetting about the first time. Without getting into that album, I happily gave my second copy to my brother.

Last edited by SGR; 04-21-2021 at 07:26 PM.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote