Music Banter - View Single Post - HEY NOOBS! Want a band or song recommendation? Don't start a new thread-POST HERE!
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2021, 09:36 AM   #4281 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
if one likes Lounge Lizards what's a good transition record into more uh jazz Jazz?
Hmm, maybe try this progression. Lounge Lizards was an early jazz love of mine as well so this is pretty similar to the route I took.

Marc Ribot Trio - Live At the Village Vanguard (obvious connection to Lounge Lizards)
Endangered Blood - Endangered Blood (has the groove)
Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch! (and everything he's been involved in tbh; has a similar playfulness and funkiness)
Sonny Sharrock - Ask the Ages (texturally similar to heavier early Lounge Lizards)
Charles Mingus - Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, The Clown (compositionally similar, an artist you should know)
John Zorn - Naked City, Book of Angels: Asmodeus (performed by Ribot/Dunn/Weston), Spy Versus Spy (similarly fun and experimentalish jazz rock, maybe flies to close to the metal sun for you though)
Matana Roberts - Coin Coin Chapter 1: Gens de Couleur Libres (a lot darker than Lounge Lizards but has similar diversity, textures, and ambition)

You should explore Miles's and Coltrane's discographies but I'm not sure where a good spot to start with them would be tbh. Their discographies are all very diverse. Ornette's is too, but the easy starting point with that is The Shape of Jazz to Come. Zorn's discography is also insane but less of a priority if you're looking to transition into performative jazz snobbery.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote