Music Banter - View Single Post - Cover songs you think are better than the original
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2021, 03:41 PM   #934 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Now that I've been posting just a bit, I'll do a couple.

In >90% of cases, I think covers are redundant or worse than the original. However, there are occasional exceptions.

One of those exceptions is Loudon Wainwright III's version of Daughter. The original is by Peter Blegvad. Loudon dresses it up in a more country style and it fits the song really well. It gives it a stronger identity and makes it a little more fun. Loudon also seems like such a warm character and adds a lot of heart to most of the stuff he plays, this included.

Then I also adore this song which may or may not be a Bo Diddley cover. I'm unsure, but the track listing has it as "A Modern Lesson [Bo Diddley]" so I've assumed that it is indeed a cover. Now, I'll admit I don't know the original in this case, but I am pretty sure that it doesn't sound anything like Aksak Maboul's take on this.

It's got cash registers and a parrot in it and it is one of my favourite bits of avant-garde music ever recorded.