Music Banter - View Single Post - Cultural appropriation
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2021, 01:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Lucern, I'd comment again that while purely cynical cultural appropriation exists, it is probably rare. If Bieber doesn't love the culture he copies, his producer, the songwriter or someone else probably does. People want to create something they actually like. Work and life in general is just more pleasant that way.

It's also kinda interesting to see perspectives from americans as americans are very focused on race, skin colour, ethnicity. Because of the US history, I get why that is. I would say that culture shouldn't be intrinsically tied to skin tone. I really like meme theory to explain the evolution of things like language, culture, religion. For cultural memes spreading in the mindscape, the colour of someone's skin doesn't really have to be a barrier to its spread just like it doesn't have to be a barrier to the spread of religions or languages. The idea that one could or should contain a culture to a relative small but deserving minority based on skin tone or whatever is kinda futile. It would be like stemming the ocean tide. It's just gonna keep coming and fighting it will only cause frustration.

You might as well look more positively on it. We're becoming more culturally homogenic, even norwegians and americans. But perhaps it ain't all bad as long as we bring the best parts of our cultures into the mix and leave out the worst.