Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2021, 09:58 AM   #23760 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

The Irishman - Martin Scorsese (2019)

It's been sitting on my queue for a few years now I guess and it took a UTI for me to finally commit to watching it. Great performances, especially Joe Pesci, but you've seen one Scorsese mobster movie, you've seen 'em all. He has mined the topic extensively, I don't understand why he still has this obsession with these terrible, cruel men. Women are of course almost completely invisible (poor Anna Paquin is in here and literally has one line which stirred enough controversy to merit a response from her). Basically, I knew what the experience was gonna be even before watching it and it fully lived up to those expectations. Doesn't bring anything new to the genre. But now I know Jimmy Hoffa probably had it coming. Also, the de-aging thing didn't bother me at all.

I've also seen:

I'm thinking of ending things - Charlie Kaufman (2020)

At times very compelling, but ultimately too abstract and confounding (for me) to be a good experience. I thought maybe Toni Collete and David Thewlis, both of which I normally love, are just a touch histrionic in their scenes. And at the end of the day I have no idea what it was really about. Regardless, he is certainly one of the most original filmmakers working today but I think his ideas are getting a little too inscrutable.

Disclosure (2020)

Netflix doc about trans representation in the media. Basically a relentless expose about the overwhelmingly negative depiction of trans people in films and TV and the effect this had on the trans talking heads. I saw about 50 minutes of 1:50h before decided I've gotten the point. Going further would be like self flagellation.

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote