Music Banter - View Single Post - Utilitarianism
Thread: Utilitarianism
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2021, 04:27 AM   #22 (permalink)
Marie Monday
the bantering battleaxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
utilitarianism is a consequentialist philosophy towards determining what is moral no?

the way you're describing it, it's literally impossible to not be a utilitarian

pretty much making the word pointless

I personally don't believe morality has any real logical basis...but human emotions should be considered when making a world that humans inhabit
No, I mean there must be some basis for the morals you feel, for some people it's more logical and for others emothional, but even emothional reactions are a kind of subconscious ethical system. That ethical system doesn't have to be utilitarian, but for basically everyone it is. There is always an underlying system, like to use a different example the traditional visceral religious convictions can be traced back to wanting to keep power structures intact

I don't have time to read the rest of the discussion, I may get back to it later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You sound like Buffy after they dragged her back from Heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWP View Post
I want to open a school for MB's lost boys and teach them basic coping skills and build up their self esteem and strengthen their emotional intelligence and teach them about vegetables and institutionalized racism and sexism and then they'll all build a bronze statue of me in my honor and my bronzed titties will forever be groped by the grubby paws of you ****ing whiny pathetic white boys.
Marie Monday is offline   Reply With Quote