Music Banter - View Single Post - About writing!
Thread: About writing!
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 03:56 AM   #29 (permalink)
DontRunMeOver
They call me Tundra Boy

I'm going to carry on with the anal-ness...

Quote:
po·em (pm)
n.
1. A verbal composition designed to convey experiences, ideas, or emotions in a vivid and imaginative way, characterized by the use of language chosen for its sound and suggestive power and by the use of literary techniques such as meter, metaphor, and rhyme.
2. A composition in verse rather than in prose.
3. A literary composition written with an intensity or beauty of language more characteristic of poetry than of prose.
4. A creation, object, or experience having beauty suggestive of poetry.
Now, for something to fit a definition (using a dictionary) it has to fit only one of the definitions found there. Only one. A 'lyric' can fit the last definition (words put to music) and at the same time not fit any of the 'poem' criteria. Yes, a lot of lyrics - certainly most of the memorable ones - will fit into definition 1, although this characterisation seems to require them to have a meter, some rhyming etc. Vocals which are just sung to fit a tune, with words which are crammed into the melody like many rock bands do, do not count as poetry.

I love Muse, but could you really saymost of their lyrics are poems?
DontRunMeOver is offline   Reply With Quote