Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2021, 07:04 AM   #7247 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundgardenRocks View Post
I have a copy of BK sitting on my shelf - started reading it - lost interest - plan to pick it up again at some point. By that point, I won't have any recollection of Marie's post most likely.
That was my experience with BK too. I got fed up with how Dostoyevski, when he introduced a character, would takes us back to the guy's grandfather's parents. Not only was it dull, but it gave the strong impression that Dostoyevski was buying into some Russian caste system: is this person of good family or not? Still, it's a book with a huge reputation, so perhaps I was doing Dostoyevski an injustice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Struggled through The Lizard King (did not come out with any better an impression of Morrison than I had going in, if anything a worse one) then she wanted to hear about Joan of Arc, but as expected once they burned her (Joan not Karen) she lost interest so we ditched that, headed back to Dickenstown and we're now firmly lodged in Barnaby Rudge. Not literally. Enjoying it immensely already. Viva Dickens!
If I may ask, Trollheart, do you read books outloud to your sister? That would be a nice, old-fashioned thing to be doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
just finished Death of a Salesman

that's one brutal play
Yep, a really excellent play. Not that I've read it, but have seen two productions of it on tv.

Travel writing is a genre I really enjoy, and I just finished Long Way Round:-

Two guys on bikes ride from London, across Asia to Alaska, then across the US to New York and thus home, hopping over The Pond.

This isn't a particularly good example of the genre. I found it very light in several ways: the writing style, the depth of research into places visited, and the hardship endured. I'm not saying that I could ride a heavy BMW all day on gravel tracks as they sometimes did, but these guys don't get lost, snowed in for months and end up eating each other - so, a disappointing book in that regard.