Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2021, 06:44 PM   #7249 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post

If I may ask, Trollheart, do you read books outloud to your sister? That would be a nice, old-fashioned thing to be doing.

Oh yeah. Because her eyes are so bad now she can't read for herself (plus her short term memory is not great) so we tried a lot of things years ago, including an ingenious scanner machine that scanned pages and then read them out to you but it was like HE-CAME-IN-THE-GAR-DEN-AND-LOOKED-UP-AT-THE-WIN-DOW... Very mechanical and boring, plus it was literally the size of one of those old computer scanners so it took up a lot of space. Then I considered audio books but there wasn't much of the sort of thing she likes, and anyway it depends on who's reading. Thought about recording my voice for her then finally advanced the possibility of reading for her. At first she thought no, it's like being a child again and being read stories, and the she must have thought, well no actually, it's more like being a child again and being read stories!

So it works very well. Gets me reading more, entertains her and it also gives her the option to ask if she doesn't understand, hear or agree with something in the book. It's thanks to her that I've been able to get into Dickens, as I doubt I would have - with the best intentions in the world - have got round to doing it myself. Also helps to pass the time when she's in hospital. She told me that once or twice other visitors in the ward, and patients, had been listening to me and thought it was really nice that I was reading for her.