Music Banter - View Single Post - Show Off Your Bookshelf
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2021, 07:43 AM   #54 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
No Beefheart material here, but I do have Zappa's autobiography.
I'm sure you would enjoy Mike Barnes' book about Beefheart. I think it was with JackPat that I had a conversation here about the book. Remember him? Changed his name a confusing number of times.

Quote:
Looking at your older post, we also share Orwell essays, writings on Gandhi, and an appreciation for science based books. I have some Newton, Einstein, Hawking, Feynman, Sagan, Hofstadter, Darwin, Shannon, Gleick, and others. I see a lot of soldier stuff in your collection, so you'd probably get a kick out of my WWII books too.
Congrats on your eyesight, to be able to identify any titles at all from my photo! Yes, I like some science, but nothing very complicated. My copy of The Selfish Gene lies unfinished, for example, but I've done better with astronomy; starting with Asimov's excellent The Universe I've found it a fascinating, constantly evolving topic.

In my era, English schoolboys grew up with stories of WWII heroism, so it stays a topic of interest for many. Of course, as an adult you start to see how ghastly war is. WWI perhaps more so with the grinding misery of the trenches.