Music Banter - View Single Post - The Saturday 6-Pack
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2021, 06:48 PM   #10330 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

1. Who is/are your favourite author(s)?*

I don't read enough to really have favorite authors but Tolkien is the easiest answer. I love the tone and style he writes so ****ing much cause they contribute at least as much to the sense that he's created this entire world as the actual content itself. And just the decades he spent creating all these mountains of lore for the love of writing lore is a work of art all by itself. There's no author quite like Tolkien.

2. And your least favourite?

Ayn Rand is pretty horrendous both for her philosophy and legions of trash acolytes, and because she"s such a ****ing boring writer. Terry Goodkind is a a Randroid himself and the most unimaginative fantasy author of note who has the same propensity as Rand for obnoxious monologues but also throws in mountains of horrific misogyny. I mean I was enjoying his first book (which in hindsight is also horrendous) but all the rapeand rape fantasies in later books eventually made me disgusted back when I wasn't even that far off from being a conservative moron.

3. What is your preferred genre to read?

Fantasy by a mile. It just clicks with my caveman brain.

4. What is/are the best book(s) you ever read?*

Anything by Tolkien is catnip. The non-tedious Wheel of time books by Robert Jordan are modern fantasy at its best. What I've read of Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archives and Mistborn series are even more modern fantasy at its best. Shogun by James Clavell is highly historically inaccurate but possibly the best escapist adventure novel of all time. And I have mad love for Harry Potter.

5. And the worst?*

Atlas Shrugged is so intolerable I couldn't even finish it when I was still a libertarian.

6. Who do you believe gets more credit than they should as an author?

Ayn Rand gets so much hate but considering the influence she still has on the world I won't be satisfied until her remains are interred and tried for crimes against humanity.

Same again please, when you're ready there mate!

7. What determines, generally, if you stop reading/lose interest in a book?

I'm not that picky but considering the amount of fanfiction I've read I've developed a total snobbery for incompetent prose. But if you're a writer who can be published by an actual publisher you're probably fine.

8. Do you have a Kindle/reader and if not, do you ever intend to get one?

I do not but I might get one if I'm in a financial position to drop a couple hundred on one, but I can just buy books for way cheaper so it's not a priority. I also just like physical books.

9. How large (approximately) is your book collection (to the nearest hundred, say)

I'm sure I have a hundred. Maybe two hundred?

10. What is the best line you ever read in a book?

Can't think of anything but I'll post something later if it comes to me.

11. What is/are your favourite non-fiction book(s)? *

Maybe A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. The author hikes the Appalachian trail from Georgia to Maine with his dip**** friend and it's the funniest god damn thing and probably sparked my interest in camping.

12. What book(s) have you never read, but would like to?*

Gonna dig into Das Kapital pretty soon.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote