Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2021, 05:18 AM   #75102 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

The only thing cassettes were ever good for was when blank ones were the only way to record something. Even then they were inconvenient. Leave one too close to a magnetic field (eg speakers) and you'd lose elements of what was on it (what we used to call drop outs) - "I never meant to cause you - le rain! Purple ra- want to - bathing in the - honey I know..." etc. Jesus it was annoying.

Then as tore says, the mere "inconvenience" of running the tape forward or back (we didn't see it as such then because like I say, there was no other way and so we just accepted it) - if you'd not recorded up to the end of the tape you'd have to fast forward so you could flip it over and not end up in the middle of the first song on the other side of the tape - and as for tangles! Jesus. Every other tape, after a while, would get caught up and ruined. So not only had you this: I CAN'T GET NO-OH SAT-IS-FACTION! I CAN'T GET NOBRLURRBLKEWURBLEWEEIOOOOOOOO...." Tape AND recorder ruined, so you had to extract the cassette from the deck and TRY to untangle the actual magnetic tape from where it had twisted around the spindles before you could use the deck again.

No ****ing thanks. Cassettes were a necessary evil but I never want to go back to the tyranny of the tape again thank you very much.