Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2021, 06:20 AM   #75104 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
yeah man why pay to see an artist live when you can just watch a YouTube video
If you could perfectly replicate the sound of a live performance would you just skip the concert then?

Nah cause it's not just the sound, it's the experience of being there with other people getting trashed / trying to get laid / etc plus being in the same giant room as the musicians you idolize

Just like vinyl isn't just about the sound. It's about novelty seeking. Looking for that special sound that "can't be gotten" digitally. Plus the whole vintage aesthetic involved in the medium. Like, I get why people like that as a hobby. Doesn't bother me if that's what you're into. I used to collect Chinese garbage and scraps of cardboard from trucks I unloaded at Lowes distribution center cause I loved the idea of having a weird connection to another part of the world that I interacted with only inadvertently. So I totally get novelty seeking behavior.

I just get annoyed/amused by how every single person with vinyl records claims it's all about the pursuit of this unique sound and don't acknowledge that at least 50% of it is that they like the idea of vinyl. Just say that instead of pretending to have special ears or something and I would respect vinyl hipsters more. But hipsters can never own their hipster behavior. They're like vampires hiding from the daylight.

Last edited by jwb; 05-22-2021 at 06:28 AM.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote