Music Banter - View Single Post - Judaism
Thread: Judaism
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2021, 09:43 AM   #34 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
that's cause you didn't watch it past 3 mins

Trust me it's not the video it's your inclination to jump to conclusions... The video is very informative if you have the patience to actually watch it. As it gets towards the end it only gets better and better.
That seems rather unnecessary. I prefer the phrase "come to a conclusion", having done you the courtesy of giving the video 3 mins to win me over. After all, it's not like your brusque OP gave us any particular incentive to watch the video:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
Since Islam gets a thread and so does Christianity it only makes sense that there would be a thread for the original mother religion Judaism. Just like the Jews deserve to own Israel they also deserve a thread of their own on musicbanter. Discuss.

A mild interest in Judaism (thread title) does not automatically indicate a desire to listen to Jews talking about the Talmud (video title). Perhaps I should have done with your post what you did with two of the three topics I raised connected to Judaism: ignore them.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
AFAIK, the Jewish community in England is extensive but dispersed. They are assimilated rather than orthodox. That's why this excellent novel, which takes a peak into Hassidic Jews in New York, was such an eye-opener to me. Easy to read and highly recommended, it's like the Catcher In The Rye guy got off at the wrong subway stop and found himself in a completely different New York.

Has anybody here read The Chosen by Chaim Potok? I'm also curious to know: is it a well-known book in the US?
* In fairness, you are not alone in this regard. but also