Music Banter - View Single Post - The Divided States of America - where now?
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2021, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default The Divided States of America - where now?

I'm no political animal, and I've seen enough trouble around the world in my time, a lot of it caused by or supported by the Land of the Free, but the current situation in a Post-Trump world worries me, and I wonder how those living in the country feel? Of course America has always been heavily divided among racial and ideological lines, but after the ****show that was four years of Herr Trump it looks like his legacy will be with us for a very long time. Extreme right-wing groups whom nobody had even heard of (did you know of The Proud Boys or the Oath Keepers or any of these other nutters two years ago?) and who kept mostly to the shadows seem to be coming out more boldly and brazenly. I read about a meeting the PB had in Wisconsin I think it was, where they took over a city park and were parading around threatening people with armed violence, and the cops did diddly-squat.

It seems that, no matter how much I personally would like to think that without Trump all this would fade away, the genie is out of the bottle now and there's no getting him back in. Too many Republicans are licking Trump's arse and that of his base in terror that they might be kicked out of the party if they don't toe the line, which these days seems to be agreeing even if their leader-in-exile says the sky is pink or the moon is just barely out of reach.

So I just wonder where, in this new climate, people in America think/fear their country is going, and what you, and the rest of us, can expect in the years leading up to the next election? Is it as bad as it's made out on the news, worse or are we getting too worked up about something that will eventually blow over?

Comments from those in the know would be very much appreciated, but any sort of debate is helpful.