Music Banter - View Single Post - The Discography Ranking Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2021, 10:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Good breakdown on Billy Woods there Frown. Need to dig into him more than I'll use your analyses as my starter guide.

Anyway, reading TH's review earlier made me want to give some thought to Magma's great discography. My rankings:

Tier Summaries

S - The 1970 debut Kobaia has always been my overall favorite from them, partly because it covers a lot of sonic territory but it has a cool golden era jazz-fusion aesthetic that was de-emphasized on later records. 2019's Zess and 1984's Merci stand out to me for similar reasons - they really jump out in regards to flow and production in a discography full of Zeuhl jewels. To me, they are flawless standouts of their respective eras.

A - 1978's Attahk is basically S-tier in regards to creativity but it just doesn't flow quite as well for as my favorite four do - "Maahnt (The Wizard's Fight Versus The Devil)' has a killer synth opening though. Also, albums like Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh and Köhntarkösz see Magma solidifying the fundamental elements of Zeuhl and moving away from the vibe of Kobaia and the spiritual jazz leanings of 1001° Centigrades (another great one that's just about S-tier).

B. Mostly live albums I just don't jam much or albums in Magma's discography that I enjoy but don't replay as much, so it's harder to rate their material against what I really love from them. Udu Wudu is probably the one that's most likely to move up to A or even S-tier from me eventually, but I don't love it quite yet.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote