Music Banter - View Single Post - Comedy is it Universal at all?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 07:06 PM   #25 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianneW View Post
so how come...beer cans scarecrow all light hearted stuff....your weird or an alien then..show what is funny to you,,ok I do larf a hell of a lot and see most stuff that is serious as funny these days...Marie..nice name
Nobody got it because tosser doesn't mean the same over there (possibly doesn't mean anything) as it does here, so no joke. Clever, but the correlation between the wording and the picture goes over their heads. I thought it was mildly funny, but not hilarious, but that's because I know what a tosser is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianneW View Post
where is the surprise?..ducks fly no surprise ok gate damaged, so that's the joke... had ducks in the UK and had to clipped their wings, as they were not bought up in the wild, so pets, special pets, although when they bred one of our chickens sat for the duration of, to hatching then we took over....

Jokes to me are so varied..take the UK CarryOn films..loads and loads of them, funny to me as is the late Kenny Everett....when you can laugh at yourself though your a winner....that's is not so easy really.
Come on, Dianne! It makes it look as if the duck has bent the bars of the gate and walked through. That's why it's funny.

So you've answered your own question there. No, comedy is NOT universal, though sometimes something is just naturally funny, like someone slipping on ice or walking into a door. Even if we want to tell ourselves oh no, we're horrible people if we laugh at that, it's our first instinct to do so.

But comedy varies not only by country but also by person. You might think something is hilarious and I would not, and vice versa. It's all subjective, so it can hardly be universal.

Quick poll: who finds this funny?