Music Banter - View Single Post - The Saturday 6-Pack
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2021, 04:49 PM   #10485 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
Can’t really fill this out adequately, as I’m no film buff – but thought I’d give it a try.
Yes, that's about how it is for me too ribbons.

1. Who is/are your favourite director(s) (max 3)?

Sergio Leone for his trilogy of Westerns culminating with "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly."
Hitchcock was great in his day for presenting a story full of suspense.
Alan Parker has made more of my favourite movies than anyone else ( Midnight Express, Angel Heart, Mississippi Burning)
The Cohen Brothers somehow make each of their movies impactful.

oops! more than the permitted 3

3. Who in the movie business do you think does not get the credit they deserve?

On a movie poster, the actors get the big billing, then maybe the director. The guy who doesn't get the credit he/she deserves is the writer. After all, that's the person whose ideas/dialogue make or break the movie imo.

4. What genre do you believe Hollywood has overdone at this point?

I'm glad to see "superhero" movies have been mentioned here a few times. Not my favourite either.
Spoiler for Rant about the movie industry:
As one Brit actor once famously said, "It's all about bums on seats." Understandably, the movie industry as a whole has always worked on that principal; it's my guess that they did a bit of market research and noticed: "Our audience ranges from children to adults. If we make a kids film we lose half our audience, but if we make an adult film we lose half to."
It's my opinion that to overcome this problem, they perpetrated a scam: they made movies for children, but with enough special effects and big name actors that adults could watch them "for fun" too. It started with Star Wars, and runs through ET to countless superhero and fantasy films.

5. What book would you like to see made into a movie?

If I like a book, I really prefer it to stay as a book. If I don't like a book, sure make it into a movie - I don't care.

6. Name three of your favourite movies?

Swapping my "least" for favourites, I'm squeezing in six:-

Angel Heart (Alan Parker)
Brief Encounter (David Lean)
Casablanca ( Michael Curtis)
Fargo (Cohen Bros)
Everything Is Illuminated (Liev Schreiber)
A Room With a View ( Ivory, Merchant)