Music Banter - View Single Post - Hey
Thread: Hey
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2021, 11:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
jadis
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
The impression I have from my experience is not as bad as that, but I'm also unsatisfied by the music/culture most people around me like. I think things have always been that way for the most part, but it seems that there used to be much more subcultures, I think you're onto something there. Maybe the internet destroyed that. In a way that's sad, but then again I suspect that those subcultures were almost as shallow and conformist as more mainstream popular culture. Most people are mediocre, and so are most people in alternative subcultures. Communities full of interesting people are very rare, and I think they're only possible if there's something interesting about what binds the community. And even then it often doesn't apply: art communities are full of posers, science is full of bland people who happen to have a specific kind of intelligence, etc. I guess I'm trying to say that linking culture to identity isn't much help when good culture doesn't ensure a nice or interesting identity. On the upside, that means that interesting people can be found everywhere

For the sake of the argument: in a certain sense we're all posers. Social behavior involves externalizing and codifying certain things into signs others can read. And as long as we *have* to do all that, doesn't it make sense to construct our social selves around the things we actually care about, like a shared taste for Siouxsie and the Banshees?

I guess what happens then is certain people who only have a superficial appreciation of Siouxsie and the Banshees (the look) glomming onto the community and ruining everything? The actual posers as opposed to posers in the wide and abstract sense I proposed above? People who favorite SATB song is Face to Face?
jadis is offline   Reply With Quote