Music Banter - View Single Post - The Guru, the Mountain, the (Wo)Man and his Music
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2021, 08:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Default The Guru, the Mountain, the (Wo)Man and his Music

...by which I mean musicians who have figuratively climbed the mountain, met the guru and then come back to planet earth to spread the word.

What kind of faith-inspired songs have they written?
Did their music change, pre- and post- revelation?
A bit of info to put a song in context would be interesting too.

Here's the guy I first thought of:
Cat Stevens
After a pop debut, he was very successful in the early '70s with songs like:-

Quote:
In December 1977, after a near-death experience, Stevens converted to Islam and adopted the name Yusuf Islam the following year. In 1979, he auctioned all of his guitars for charity, and left his musical career to devote himself to educational and philanthropic causes in the Muslim community.

His next recordings were spoken-word devotional albums; prayers and stories that showed just how transformative his involvement with traditional Islam had become. This is a song from a spoken-word album he made in order to teach his daughter about the Islamic faith. Impossible to fault Yusef's long-term, hard-core sincerity, given the years he has spent as the headmaster of an Islamic school in London.

How about other musicians?
I put this in the rock thread because, let's face it, if you're not a pop/rock legend, who cares about your religious beliefs?