Music Banter - View Single Post - The Guru, the Mountain, the (Wo)Man and his Music
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2021, 08:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
That's a really smooth, blissed-out track from Eric Johnson, Plankton. Thanks.
I had no idea he had been on aspiritual quest, and it seems, quite literally climbed a mountain to do it
I wonder how devotional the song is? As always with EJ, I'm so focused on his guitar licks, his words roll off my mind like water off a duck's back.
I'm that way with most music if there's guitar in it, but yeah Erics absolutely silky smooth tone and playing are total ear honey. I was listening to him so much I started to sound like him at times. This was when I was playing quite a bit in the late 90's, and in a few different bands. I had the same thing happen with Satch, so I had to give them a rest.

Another is John Mclaughlin. His Mahavishnu Orchestra projects were heavily inspired by the teachings of his guru Sri Chinmoy, and The Inner Mounting Flame is a testament to that, and if you're looking for devotional tunes then his collaboration with Carlos Santana is a good example. I bought this album (CD) when I was in Amsterdam many years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtyJRW3_JsQ

I also have a personal journey to the guru mountain-ish kinda thing, but I didn't physically go anywhere: I once took peyote and tried to shove my guitar into my 8-track player thinking it would help me play better. It did not.