Music Banter - View Single Post - Thoughts on Noel Gallagher
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2021, 04:21 AM   #31 (permalink)
jadis
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
There's a great quote about Oasis from Robert Smith I can't find right now, where he says that while lager, football and having a big mouth are three things he enjoys very much, there's more to life than this.
Found it. From a 2000 interview.

Quote:
Q: I don't know if you'll see this as a compliment or an insult, but I think there's a lot of parallels between Oasis and The Cure. You share that heavy wall of sound in some songs. The difference is that Oasis only seems to be one of the colors of the rainbow of the Cure.

Robert Smith: I think the group sound of Oasis is great, but I dislike most of their songs. I saw them live and I was impressed by their sound and Liam's voice, but all that bull**** around, like the whole feud with Blur... I'm happy we didn't waste time and energy with such nonsense... If there is a connection between The Cure and Oasis, it's that we're both huge Beatles fans. The difference is that that doesn't show in The Cure's music. My biggest problem with Oasis is that they belong to the lads culture in England, and that is very restricting: it's only about beer, soccer and having a big mouth. Now, that's three things that I like too, but the difference is that I know there's other fun things in the world. I predict Noel will soon tear loose from these supporters, and start a solo career, like Paul Weller blew up The Jam.
jadis is offline   Reply With Quote