Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official "Music Was So Much Better in the Glorious Days of Yore" Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2021, 01:49 AM   #888 (permalink)
jadis
Music Addict

Quote:
How are you not familiar with modern music? You're 25 years old, this is basically your era for................. Music, sadly lol.

There's something pretty funny about assuming some iron-clad determinism between one's age and the music one listens to.

I'm a millennial born in the 1980s; my parents brought me up on a pretty strict diet of classical music and as a teenager I had to adjust my ears in a major way to learn how to enjoy and appreciate electric guitars, for example. A couple of cool older friends I had then were really into UK punk and postpunk, and I got really into that.

Later, when I already was at uni in the 2000s, I discovered a bunch of 90s stuff including Bjork, Portishead, Aphex Twin, Beck, Public Enemy, The Orb, Stereolab, PJ Harvey, A Tribe Called Quest, Primus, Prodigy, Ween, MBV and DJ Shadow among many others (not to mention many of the greatest 90s records made by old timers like Neil Young and Tom Waits).

Moreover, many of the people of my age that I know had trajectories with music that resemble mine not in details but in variety. Your parents listen to Beatles and blues at home, then you get into Nurse with Wound, then you're following the post-hardcore scene etc.

I do think the internet has had a pretty ambiguous impact on how we access music and how it informs our identities... but assigning a date, any date, to "when music stopped being good" is not particularly grownup of you, to put it politely.
jadis is offline   Reply With Quote