Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official "Music Was So Much Better in the Glorious Days of Yore" Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2021, 03:35 PM   #933 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
It's not objectivity because there's no fact being violated if someone felt otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Strictly speaking that's still not totally objective probably, it's due to a shared cultural background. But that's what I mean by an opinion which people agree on to such an extent that you can treat is as kind of objective in a hand-wavy way.
Yeah that's why I said in a certain sense. Certain notes and chords and arrangements tend to produce certain emotional responses that, while they are not universal or uniform, if deployed effectively by artists with good instincts can make them some kind of objectively more effective at what they're trying.to accomplish than less intuitive artists trying to accomplish the same thing.

That's a far cry from what homeboy is talking about but it's not nothing.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote