Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official "Music Was So Much Better in the Glorious Days of Yore" Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2021, 03:57 PM   #937 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
But that's being a bit strict. You can say factually that condoms are generally more effective birth control than pulling out, regardless of the group of people who use them, even though someone may have had a broken condom but no issues due to pulling out. It's a weird metaphor and the comparison to music is shaky, but you could wonder whether Slayer is statistically more likely to please any brain (assuming that's something you can measure objectively, for the sake of argument), regardless of cultural background. It doesn't sound likely or sensible to me, but still
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Yeah that's why I said in a certain sense. Certain notes and chords and arrangements tend to produce certain emotional responses that, while they are not universal or uniform, if deployed effectively by artists with good instincts can make them some kind of objectively more effective at what they're trying.to accomplish than less intuitive artists trying to accomplish the same thing.

That's a far cry from what homeboy is talking about but it's not nothing.
I don't think it's useless to talk about aspects of what makes music enjoyable, it's just not really anything approaching objectivity.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote