Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official "Music Was So Much Better in the Glorious Days of Yore" Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2021, 03:15 AM   #948 (permalink)
Mucha na Dziko
Go ahead, Mr. Wendal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Quality is subjective as well. When music evokes an emotion and the listener determines that they like it, that emotional determination is just as much an objective fact as the amount to which music aligns to the parameters you mention. They might feel that way because they're naive about music or whathaveyou, but there's no denying the existence of that response.

The parameters you lay out are definitely useful in saying why you like music so that maybe the person you're talking to can come closer to understanding your emotional response underpinning it

Is petroleum objectively better than water?

1. I’m not denying that response, or feeling. I’m just saying that taste and quality are two completely different things. I don’t think that „emotional response” is an objective parameter. I might have a gigantów emotional response to an Adam Sandler movie, and I wouldn’t have one when watching a Stanley Kubrick movie, but there’s no way I’d say that Sandler has been in better movies than Kubrick has ever made.

2. Yes, that is true. But the again, they can also be used (Along with other parameters, even like the emotional response) to actually talk about and determine the quality. Quality is then divided into other parameters, like how that certain artist affects other artists, how it affects the world, etc. If we dive deep only into „taste” and we’ll be just standing and Talking about how „taste is subjective” (which it is, but it doesn’t mean what people usualy tend to mean by that), then there would be no conversation, discussion, argument, anything, and the world would stand still. So actually creating a vocabulary for Talking about taste, quality, art, etc is much needed to keep things moving forward, and have any social interactions.

3. Well it’s exactly the oposite. One might say water is much better than petrol, mostly because it’s the source of all life, the thing that all life needs to keep on living, and is probably a part of petroleum’s chemical structure (so no petrol without water).

(Though I’m not sure about that last statement - i’m not much of a chemist)
Mucha na Dziko is offline   Reply With Quote