Music Banter - View Single Post - How would you define Americana?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2021, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
As for the music genre, for me it goes like this:-

Back in the 1960s and before, I don't think anyone was describing music as Americana: traditional, jazz, folk, blues, country.... those were the labels in common use. You could describe Hank Williams, The Crickets, Woody Guthrie with labels like that.

Then folk-rock songs began appearing: the Byrds, The Band etc. "Folk-rock" was never a very popular term, perhaps because it was just a two-genre label and technically didn't cover, for example, an artist revamping Gershwin. So "Americana" became a better label to cover any artist who was paying his honourable dues to traditional American music, but giving it a post-sixties slant.

Like any term, its usage gets pretty fuzzy round the edges. To try and keep things clear in my head, I wouldn't use the word "Americana" for music that wasn't, afaik, described that way at the time. Of course, this distinction begins to break down with someone like Burl Ives, who just kept on performing right across the label change I've outlined, oblivious to the grief he was causing to pigeon-holers like me. Maybe I need to rethink how I apply the word.
Yeah I mean to me it seems to be anything that draws from the small-F folk music of the US. So while it frequently is folk and country, and larger definitions include jazz, and blues, I also think there's reason to consider mariachi, soul, funk, reggae, calypso, zydeco, or tango. I think it's unfortunate that those genres aren't pulled in more frequently, and genre purists will make it more of a Springsteen-lite genre.

To me, there also seems to be an allergy to any song with a stand-out melody as it might come off more ostentatious than someone in a pick-up truck with a drug addiction is allowed to be.

I think bands like:
Calexico
Iron & Wine
Cake
Norah Jones
Dr. John
Tom Waits

should be considered in the genre. To some they are, but I wouldn't say (in my experience) that the majority thinks so. Even some of the stripped-down White Stripes stuff should be in the family, so to speak.